Saturday 7 June 2008

NAILS IN THE U.S.A























photos. 1. me and Vicki Peters 2. me and Joshep Pham 3.me and Greg Salo 4. LeChat Nails USA stand 5.Show floor 6.Interior of the exhibition centre 7. Orange County Exhibition Centre, Orlando, Florida.

June 1st and 2nd saw the anual Premiere Beauty Exhibition at the Orange County Convention Centre in Orlando , Florida, U.S.A.


This prestigious event is amongst the largest of its kind in the whole of America. The show brings together all the leading names in the world of hair, beauty and nails, combining a huge exhibition with live demonstrations and an extensive schedule of educational classes that are housed in meeting rooms above the show floor.


My mission was to research the nail market in the U.S and bring back new information to develop my own nail business. Surprisingly after extensive investigations, i found that there was nothing happening in America that we are not already doing here in the U.K.


Initially I found this a little dissapointing, I am always hungry for new ideas and techniques to keep me bang up to date within the nail world. However, after some consideration, iIrealised that in a way this was actually good news. Its amazing to think that a tiny country like Great Britain can head the way in the ever developing world of nail enhancements when you compare us to the colosal power of the mighty U.S.A.



One thing that did impress me though was the amazing education schedule that was available free of charge to convention attendees.There were all sorts of subjects for nail technecians ranging from natural nail care through application proceedures and finishing techniques. I myself attended 3 classes with industry experts, pink and white acrylic applications with Brenda Schermont from INM, design techniques with Greg Salo from Young Nails and electric filing with industry legend Vicki Peters.



I think in the U.K we draw our influences in nail styling from both the U.S and the rest of europe and have everything that is available in both these continents in our own tiny island.


So where will my research take me next, I'm thinking Russia maybe....or how about Japan?